On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM,  <sc...@web.de> wrote:
> Tomas Bodzar wrote:
>
>> OpenBSD 4.8 and earlier releases are not supported anymore.
>
> I will update to 5.0 or 5.1 later, but now I have a little stress
> and other preocupations. To update twice a year means a little
> work and care, and there are priorities. I am just using OpenBSD
> as desktop. Perhaps a misuse, because security is not my priority,
> indeed I would perhaps preffer less security and have more software,
> telnetd in the system (with a hint to security problems in the
> man pages), etc, but I am happy with OpenBSD as Desktop.

$ sysctl kern.version
kern.version=OpenBSD 5.1-beta (GENERIC.MP) #159: Thu Jan 12 00:00:27 MST 2012
    dera...@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.MP

$

I'm using OpenBSD mostly as desktop as well. To bee on current has a
lot of pros. Complete update of system, configs and packages say every
month takes about 30 minutes. It's binary process so no need for
compile and you have actual packages (close to upstream as much as
possible)

I don't think that eg. Minitube or similar from 4.8 will work with
actual youtube.

Updates on other systems takes much more time and have so much errors and
bugs.