Tracy Bales wrote:

> OK...I did a system reboot.  And now I'm finding out that the azalia
> driver
> will not change the sample rate from 48 KHz to 8 KHz.  I also tried using
> audioctl record.sample_rate=8000 but it returns with record.sample_rate:
> 48000 -> 48000
>
> So, is the problem with the azalia driver or my hardware?  Can others
> running the azalia driver change their sample_rate to anything else but
> 48000?

The ALC888 chip supports 44.1/48/96/192 kHz, but that's not necessarily a
show stopper.

> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Tracy Bales <balestr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm running OpenBSD 5.0/i386.  I used pkg_add to install the gpsk31
>> package.  I tried running the program with the following sound devices:
>> default, /dev/audio, /dev/audioctl and /dev/sound.  Each attempt to
>> execute gpsk31 returns the following:
>>
>> init_audio: can't open /dev/audio
>> Cannot initialize audio device: /dev/audio -1

AFAICT /dev/audioctl can't be used to play audio.

Unfortunately the error message is a bit vague, the program doesn't really
tell the reason of the failure. In general you're most likely best of by
not using these audio devices directly. Try running aucat(1) as a daemon
(e.g.: aucat -l), this would also take care of sample rate conversions.
(usually automatically)
To have aucat start up at boot time you'll need at least an
empty "aucat_flags=" in your rc.conf.local file.

I don't know gpsk31 and whether it has been converted to use OpenBSD's
libsndio, but I reckon it has, otherwise you're probably out of luck. If it
has, you should be able to use sndio(7) device names. (e.g. aucat:0
i.o. /dev/audio)

I also advise to read the mentioned man pages.