Antoine Jacoutot wrote:
> Jason McIntyre wrote:
>> my hostname.pppoe0 file does this without problem. i guess the problem
>> is you specify an exact ip, but a wildcard for your gateway.
>
> Sorry about that. I was not very clear. In fact, I also tried to set the
> gateway to a fixed IP, but it does not change anything, I still can't
> connect.

pppoe allows setting of local and peer addresses, and will
request/require these values when it negotiates the address.
0.0.0.0 and 0.0.0.1 are special in that they allow the addresses
sent by the peer to be accepted.

>> whether it will fix your problem (app binding in rc.local) i don't know.
>
> Actually I know it does since even when not connected yet, the pppoe0
> interface has already an IP assigned and the application can start
> without a problem.
> Anyway, this particular thing is not very important, I just want to know
> if there's a way to set a fixed IP/gateway in hostname.pppoe0 and be
> able to connect.

It is probably a problem with your ISP. It wants to give you a (fixed)
address. It does not allow you to specify an address, even if they are
the same.

As a workaround, if you are using -current, you can use ifstated.
In -current pppoe brings its link state 'up' when the IP layer is open
(ie. has an address).

Can