I managed to compile R-2.14.0 and .1 from source on OpenBSD 5.0 (i386).

Make failed because that two of the tre source files require stdint.h
(for WCHAR_MAX definition) but don't include it. I managed to build R by
inserting
    #include <stdint.h>
on src/extra/tre/tre-compile.c and src/extra/tre/tre-parse.c

I know this is an ugly hack, and fiddling with the sources seldom is a
good idea, but it got the job done...

There are some additional issues with the Cairo graphics device,
-pthread as a LDFLAG and some of the tests that configure runs, but I'm
still working on that. I'll share my findings when I have more concrete
answers (later today, hopefully).