On Feb 08 08:25:49, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2012-02-07, Joe Gidi <j...@entropicblur.com> wrote:
> > In every case, when the box hangs, I'm unable to break into ddb.
>
> How long do you leave it when it hangs? There have been occasions
> where a box appears to hang but then recovers.
>
> Are you using softdep?

This interests me. The OP's problem was what appeared
to be a hang during "make -j8 build'. I have experienced
something similar while doing heavy IO operations.

If I cvs up many repositories at once, while
dump|restoring a few filesystems at once,
the box *sometimes* seems totaly unresponsive,
only to react to my keybord stroke _a_long_time_
later; sometimes, it is unresponsive locally,
but can be ssh'd to - but the login process doesn't
make it to actually spawning a shell.

Yes, I am usign softdep, almost everywhere.

Stuart, could you please elaborate on how this (possibly) happens,
and what is the role of softdep in it?

        Thank you for your time

                Jan