You'll face other problems preventing you from doing everything with
aucat. First, there's no reverb, which is necessary to create the
spacial feel, volume changes are too abrupt (cause small clicks) and
not real-time.

Implementing pan, effects and smooth parameter changes would bloat
aucat/sndiod. IMO the way to go is to handle processing in small
programs (with a simple record->process->play loop) and keep sndiod
only for routing the signal to the hardware or other programs.

Currently that's the way I handle some effects, I write small programs
that apply effects on the record stream to send the result in
real-time on the play stream. Then I use -mmon to record the result in
a file. Not very flexible, but good enough to test the concept.

If I understand what you are doing, perhaps you have another way.
Noatun doesn't make the deal ?
You play audio file with it and add the filter Arts::Synth_FREEVERB.
It has the essential control knobs for reverb.
Kaffeine has other filters for audio.
Noatun & Kaffeine work well with filters, parameters can be adjusted
in "real-time".
And it should be possible to record the audio output in a file.
And perhaps you will want to write new filters for them ;).