On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 04:14:06PM -0600, Chris Bennett wrote:
> So what I said above will NOT work with these troublesome packages?
> I have been using all of the make commands when working on ports, stuff
> like make uninstall, etc.
> The Porters Handbook seems to suggest that roughly this procedure does
> work.
>
> make clean=work flavors packages plist depends
> No?

(Unless you're a *developer*, or you want to *downgrade* ports,
you should never ever have to run make clean=plist
that's stupid. register-plist catches *bugs*.)

Nope, won't work. You haven't de-installed the troublesome package, so a
new build will still break. (e.g., it doesn't have
make clean=install).

That's the crux of the matter.

Eventually, we'll solve most of these.  Not all of them, not ever. Because
the number of combinations old package installed/new package build is very
very large, so the best we can hope is to fix the most common ones
(having our own libtool for most of the tree does help a great deal).

There are so many things to do... this is not a huge priority. We don't
fix the ports tree, we fix binary packages. Once they're all perfect
(ah ! :) ) we'll fix every little remaining bug in ports.

Promise ! :)

(I'm not promising anything, actually, since there's always always more
polishing to  do for binary packages proper).