* Phil Pennock <openbsd-misc-p...@spodhuis.org> [2012-03-04 21:05]:
> On 2012-03-04 at 19:30 +0100, Henning Brauer wrote:
> > * Phil Pennock <openbsd-misc-p...@spodhuis.org> [2012-03-04 13:23]:
> > > https://github.com/syscomet/openntpd
> >
> > please note that it takes a bit more for a new portable release,
> > namely, at least tests on the major platforms.
>
> Absolutely.  Couldn't find a test suite, or a changelog of the portable
> changes, so went about reconstructing via code archaeology.
>
> Thus the first commit simply being "got it working on one platform".
> Can you point me to a test suite or anything else used for the portable
> production?

unfortunately not - i wasn't really involved with the portable.

> > > The current CVS of ntpd was imported to the initial branch "openbsd" and
> > > I branched "master" from that.  I then pulled in the imsg stuff from
> > > current OpenBSD and then went through the FreeBSD Ports packages,
> > > applying the changes which seemed sane (almost all of them).  Only
> > > *incompatibility* with upstream is storing drift information as parts
> > > per million, for compatibility with reference ntpd.
> > this is an inacceptable difference between a portable and the native
> > one.
> Alternative viewpoint: OpenNTPD using an equivalent file format to the
> reference implementation but with different meanings of the numbers is
> an unacceptable difference.  Switching to the compatible difference and
> documenting the scale of the numbers lets administrators switch from one
> implementation to the other while maintaining the same drift file.

the format of the drift file is an entirely different discussion (and
I have no strong opinion on it). changing this between the native and
the portable remains absolutely inacceptable.

pls just drop in in my mailbox (henning@)

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP