[ Accidentally replied privately. ]
On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Renzo Fabriek <rfabr...@nerdshack.com>wrote:

> On Saturday 10 March 2012 18:26:29 you wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Renzo Fabriek <rfabr...@nerdshack.com
> >wrote:

> to buy
> > > Win 7
> > > small
> > >
> > > Free copy's of Windows? Do  they exist?
>

> > Violating copyright laws because "software should be free" or "I found it
> > on the Internet!!!" is dangerous if you actually have a job or your mommy
> > and daddy aren't willing to pay your legal costs if you get caught. Like
> > stealing money from winos, you might not get caught but it teaches
> > dangerous habits that shouldn't be taught in your social life or
> > professional life. OpenBSD and the other open sourced operating systems
> > have been very good about this: Nomen should not be suggesting dangerous
> > habits on a public mailing list.
> >
> > Also, since so many of do need to work with Windows based software for
> > work, it's potentially useful. Samba started tis way, and is now a
> mainstay
> > of filesharing systems.  And when Microsoft drops XP support, a workable
> > open source toolkit could be very helpful to access legacy data from
> legacy
> > applications. I've had this sort of thing happen with Windows, Mac, UNIX,
> > and Linux software from obsolete operating systems. It's also handy for
> old
> > games: I've got a really old Resident Evil game I can only play in
> > emulation, because the hardware it ran on is broken. (I keep it in the
> > basement so I can say "I have a right to the emulator ROM images".)
> >

> Did you CC the list? otherwise I'm the only one who recieved it. :)
>
> My question was retorical.

I'm afraid that some folks do think that pirated copies are "free". Ethics
can be very difficult: is it ethical to steal from a thief? For someone
who's living in the "I can steal it for free, why bother with a freeware
one" world, explaining ethical or moral behavior can be awkward.

> But to respond a bit. It is always funny that the risc is being argued as
> reason not to do it while the main reason should be cause it is unethical.
> But... i also do make the same mistake. But that doesn't make it less true.

Oh, not always! Perhaps I've spent too much time around people whose
ethical values are horrible, trying to convince them by other means to do
the right thing.