I've got a setup with a central VPN gateway running a couple dozen IPSEC
tunnels to remote locations. All the gateways are running current, and use
very simple ipsec.conf entries to set things up. Works beautifully.

ISPs are another matter. At two of the remotes, service is 'flaky' to say the
least, and we lose connectivity due to network problems on a regular basis.
Both sites have alternate ISPs available, but their service is also
questionable (think mountaintop ski resort). I'd like to set up redundant
connections to these two sites with automatic failover from ISP A (and all
related IPSEC connections) to ISP B when A's network goes down, etc.

I've found recommendations for using either GIF or GRE in the mailing list
archives, but little on how to set it up or the relative
advantages/disadvantages of these two proposals. It also seems that ifstated
could be used to 'manually' insert/remove SAs and flows via ipsecctl. Does
anyone have any thoughts as to which approach is preferable and the relative
merits of each?

--
Jeff Simmons                                           jsimm...@goblin.punk.net