Hi Uwe,

On Wed Mar 14 2012 22:47, Uwe Dippel wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Uwe Dippel <udip...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I had read those. And yet, I don't understand that line. It doesn't
> > look like it should be written into rc.conf / rc.conf.local, does it?
> > Correct me if I'm wrong. It looks like a shell variable that has
> > 'postfix' appended.
>
> Ooops, I think I got it finally. The shell variable is defined in
> rc.conf, and actually has 'postfix' appended when rc.conf.local is
> being run.
> Personally, I would not have expected the variable to be created in
> rc.conf, because since 4. something it is being considered 'clean' of
> user entries at upgrade.
> Would it not be better to add package start strings in rc.conf.local only?

of course it is declared in rc.conf. This file is used by rc(8) to define
and control its variables. rc.conf.local is sourced by rc.conf.local near
at the end to overwrite the defaults with user-defined values.

Hence, it is still true, you put your local modifications into
rc.conf.local, to prevent the upgrade script from overwriting them.

So, to let rc(8) start daemons installed by pkg_add, you configure
$pkg_scripts in /etc/rc.conf.local, accordingly:

pkg_scripts="postfix mpd etc"

Note that rc(8) starts them in the order you provide with $pkg_scripts.

Yours,
Norman