Thanks for your prompt reply. I misunderstood you last time, I thought
you were suggesting that one of the drives was defective.
I tried swapping the CDROM, but the x336 are 1U rackmounted servers, and
they use custom IDE cables. As I don't have access to any other IBM
rackmounted servers, I don't have any other devices to swap in. I could
order another drive from IBM, but as I know this problem exists for
others I think it's unlikely that this is the source and I don't think
that it's worth the cost.

Regarding your second suggestion - firstly I am in New Zealand,
secondly, the machines don't belong to my company, and we don't have the
means to buy another one. I have been communicating with IBM, and while
they are interested in knowing if this is resolved and are happy to
supply documentation, they're not interested to the extent of providing
hardware to resolve it.

While I realize it's not ideal, if it's at all helpful I can provide
access to a machine via ssh for a developer who is working on a fix.

Stephen