On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 12:44:03PM +0200, Christopher Zimmermann wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 11:22:54 +0100
> ZC) Loff <zel...@zeloff.org> wrote:
>
> > Is the PPPoE connection handled by another machine, or by the server
> > itself?
> >
> > Do the clients try to connect to the public IP or to your public
> > domain name / hostname / whatever? If this is the case, maybe a proper
> > /etc/hosts file can do the trick, but I can't guarantee it won't break
> > something else...
>

> The PPPoE connection is handled by the server itself. The server works
> fine and is reachable from everywhere. What annoys me is that LOCAL
> clients on the server itself get routed to my ISP and back.

Yes, but clients try to open URLs like "http://123.123.123.123"; (or
whatever your IP is) or "http://www.mydomain.net";? If its the former, do
you really need them to call the external IP?
If its the latter case, you can just add a line to your /etc/hosts file
like:

127.0.0.1       www.mydomain.net

and make sure your server listens on the lo0 interface... Plus check
your /etc/resolv.conf file to make sure the hosts file gets 'looked up'
before the nameserver...