On Apr 17 10:10:27, Laurence Rochfort wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've moved from Debian to OpenBSD as my main OS a short while ago and
> have come across my first situation where a piece of software is not
> available in packages or ports.
>
> Specifically, I'm following the book Seven Languages in Seven Weeks:
> http://pragprog.com/book/btlang/seven-languages-in-seven-weeks
>
> I believe Io and Prolog are not in ports:
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/ports/lang/?only_with_tag=OPENBSD_5_0#dirlist

ls /usr/ports/lang | grep prolog
Don't know about Io (never used it).

> Can I just download the source for the above
> and compile as I would in Linux?

No, that's strictly forbidden.

> Any guidance as to process and good practice would be greatly appreciated.

Srsly though, if the software you want is not in ports,
and you compile from the source, please make a port from it
so that others don't have to replicate your effort
(and subscribe to the ports@ mailing list of course)
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/ports/

        Jan