On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 23:35 +0200, Louis V. Lambrecht wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 22:52 +0200, Erling Westenvik wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 08:14:19PM +0200, Alexander Hall wrote:
> > > You do not flag which "to use". Multiple A6 entries brings problems since
> > > you get multiple disklabels.
> >
> > Trust me: I'll remember that in the future.
> >
> > > I am pretty sure this is documented and in the faq and archives.
> >
> > Maybe so, at least implicit, but I dare to say not explicit. I don't
> > blame anyone but myself though.
> >
> > > You could try setting the partition not to be used to some other dummy
> > > type. Backup first. Ymmv.
> >
> > I tried setting fdisk partition 1 back to NTFS (0x07). Then, after
> > quitting fdisk, the system complained about missing parameteres when
> > trying to run reboot, halt and eventually shutdown. I managed to reboot
> > somehow but then no kernel was found. I then booted from CD and managed
> > to get the system back online with the two "multiple A6 entries".
> >
> > 1. When I used "flag 1" in fdisk during install, did the installer place
> > the new files in fdisk partition 1?
> >
> > 2. If so, does the original 5.0 installation still exists in fdisk
> > partition 2?
> >
> > 3. If so, can my original disklabel be restored?
> >

> > Cheers
> > Erling
>

> First read the FAQ 14.7,
> notice the "What can go wrong" chapter and fdisk with the -u option
> and run installboot(8) from the proper label.
>
> Man boot(8) EXAMPLES
> boot> boot hd2a:/bsd should get you in your large partition.
>
> In most cases, when installing an OS, most rewrite the MBR: last install
> wins.

Oops, after a good sleep, noticed an error: hard drive hd0 remains hd0
whatever the labels. Can't figure out the label. Sorry.

Now, stop playing with fdisk until you know what you are doing. :-6

Would have prefered to give you a plain OpenBSD solution.

Instead download a copy of RIP-Linux (CDRom or USB) or GAG (floppy).
What they do is to boot by-passing your (now whacked) fdisk.
Both will discover  the PBRs (Partition Boot Record) and let you boot
from without writing anything to the drive (unless you say so).

Repair your Win7:
http://techchand.org/92/how-to-fix-bootmgr-error-in-windows-vista-and-windows-7

It is a PITA but possible to point to any PBR (henceyour OBSD sessions0
from within Windows boot manager.
Must be free tools around.