You can easily send & receive using gmail, either with a gmail account or
with google apps and your domain at home, though neither of these likely
involve your own sendmail setup. If you want your own mailserver, you need
port 25 to be allowed both ways and a static IP (more proper) or dynamic
dns (improper hack) is also needed.

Brian