On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 11:04:53AM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> Did you create the trunk interface *before* or *after* starting ospfd?
> I have seen ospfd get the wrong state on interfaces created after startup,
> iirc sometimes "ifconfig down+up" helps, sometimes you need to restart
> ospfd.

The trunk was created after ospfd was started. I didn't even think of
restarting ospfd, but that did the trick, once it was restarted it found
the new neighbor on the other side of the trunk and all the routes
propogated between them (the only caveat was I didn't think about the
routes disappearing when I killed ospfd, so I lost my connection to the
box 8-/, but fortunately the console wasn't too inconvenient to get to).

Thanks much for your timely and accurate suggestion, hopefully google
will find it for the next person who might have this issue :).