Hello,
I have not found any information in the man page or otherwise that conflicts
with the bellow, it just does not seem like the following should be possible:

# grep home /etc/fstab
424dc014a22db950.f /home ffs ro,nodev,nosuid,noatime
# mount|grep home
/dev/sd0f on /home type ffs (local, noatime, nodev, nosuid, read-only)
# mount -uwo async /home
# mount|grep home
/dev/sd0f on /home type ffs (asynchronous, local, noatime, nodev, nosuid)
# mount -uro sync /home
# mount|grep /home
/dev/sd0f on /home type ffs (asynchronous, local, noatime, nodev, nosuid,
read-only, synchronous)

I am however not familiar with the intricacies of filesystems, which probably
makes me wrong.
At least posting this will make my curiosity go away.