On 06/17/2012 12:31 PM, Peter J. Philipp wrote:
Having followed OpenBSD for quite some time I noticed that good developers
come and go.  They come in, make something great happen, and disappear again.
Also there have been forks and I also noticed that no fork gets a light
judgment.  Rightfully so.  And then I always appreciated the permanent
element in OpenBSD that guides our attention to areas we as users and
sideliners don't always see immediately.  I'll keep buying CD's when available
and I do donations here and there when I feel like it, and I don't regret it.

ditto.

I almost always remain silent in political matters,
(relating to OpenBSD that is).

I will list some reasons why I am not going anywhere
soon for a "free" OS.  I have been using, donating
hardware and purchasing CDs since 3.0.

Reason 1:  Legacy Architectures
I have many "legacy " machines in service because they
can be acquired for next to free (sometimes just free).

These legacy machines are very good at exposing subtle
bugs not found by compiling and running on Intel/AMD
hardware.

Since these legacy architectures are "strange" in the
i386/AMD64 context, exploiters are unlikely to bother
with them.  None of my Internet facing machines are on
popular architectures.

I have seen attackers come and leave as soon as they
figure out what they are up against.  The combination
of OpenBSD and uncommon architectures is a very tough
nut to crack.

Reason 2:  Security
This is an unknown.  All FOSS claims to be free, fast
and secure.  Even Microsoft claims to be secure. Maybe
the new team will be as fanatical as Theo, likely not
if their FAQ is to be believed.  Their reputation for
security will be revealed with the passage of time.

Reason 3:  Crypto
I don't know where the new project is located, but
they seem to have a server in Southfield, MI USA and
another in Denmark. I hope none of the developers is
subject to US export laws regarding cryptography and
that the code is maintained on servers also not subject
to those laws.

Just look at the recent MegaUpLoad case.  That case
is reportedly about a bunch of ripped off movies.
I have googled a bit and have not found a physical
location for the project or its code.

Reason 4:  Stability
The new project FAQ states they intend to be "less
restrictive with the codebase when it comes to
experimenting with features."  Maybe in the long run
some of the new features may be introduced into OBSD,
but in the near term I expect much instability given
the broad range of deeply embedded things they intend
to change.

Reason 1 is a big problem for me and my crusty old war
horses.  Reasons 2 & 3 may be unfounded, the secrecy
here (there are no developer names listed on the project
web site) is not very confidence building.   As to
reason 4, I am only mildly interested in fast.  I want
correct and stable execution above all else.  For this
reason I expect to continue with OBSD for a long time.

I do have considerable sympathy for clearing GNU out
of the code base though.

Now going back into lurker mode.
Regards,
Ray