On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:33 AM, thunderlight1 <thunderlig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm quite new to OpenBSD, and just installed 5.1 release which I upgraded
> to -stabel according to instruction described on section 5 in the FAQ.
> My question is:
> Do I need to run all the steps specified on section 5 in the FAQ each day
> (maybe using a cron-job) to have an updated -stabel release on a production
> environment? Can someone point me in a direction on the web where there is
> a solution which would not require to update the system completly and
> reboot?

It depends on your use. If it's production server then best is some
cluster so you can have one node down for update or if without cluster
you can build complete release (man release) on other machine and
after that just quick binary upgrade (similar to install process) of
complete system, after that sysmerge(8) and pkg_add -ui (if you have
some packages installed).

If it's workstation/laptop then it may be better to use snapshots as
you will have update process binary and you will have actual packages
as much as possible in project.

If you want to stick with stable then you need to follow this
http://www.openbsd.org/stable.html and choose if you want to update
only when something really bad is found and that will be displayed
here http://www.openbsd.org/errata51.html or eg. every month(if
there's some change, but then you need to follow somewhat cvs or some
other mailing list) during some maintenance window in your
organization.