On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 10:51:43AM -0800, Peter Hessler wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 12:38:09AM -0800, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> :On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 02:08:04PM -0600, Jeff Roach wrote:
> :> Not really. I want to use cups for network printing and it requires esp
> :> ghostscript for which there is no port. Also, gutenprint provides newer
> :> drivers than gimp-print.
> :
> :CUPS does _not_ require ESP ghostscript!
> :
> :yes, the few PPD files that come with CUPS reference pstoraster
> :from ESP ghostscript ... but you don't need to use them.
> :
> :do you really think I would make those ports and say they work
> :with CUPS if they didn't?
> :
> :--
> :<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> :
>
> Then how would you use CUPS w/o ESP ghostscipt?  I'm quite new to CUPS
> and when I follow the documentation (`lpadmin -p LaserJet -E -v
> socket://printer:9100 -m laserjet.ppd`.  the web interface requires
> passwords, and doesn't accept my login information.)

by default, you have to login as a member of the root group from
localhost.  if you want to change this, see the
<Location /admin> section of ${SYSCONDFIR}/cups/cupsd.conf.

>  any attempt to
> print is canceled for my convienence.

the PPD files that come with CUPS do require ESP ghostscript
but you don't need to use them.  these are generic PPD files
anyway.  a printer-specific PPD file will probably give you
better printing results.  you can get a PPD file from
linuxprinting.org or install the foomatic database and engine
and generate a PPD file locally.  ports for the foomatic database
and engine can be found here:
http://www.jakemsr.com/openbsd/foomatic-ports.html
instructions for generating a printer-specific PPD file with these
ports can be found here: http://www.jakemsr.com/openbsd/foomatic.html
(just ignore the directions on that page for lpd for the time being.
you use the same PPD file for CUPS or lpd.  I'll try to add some
directions for CUPS in the near future.)

copy the PPD file to ${PREFIX}/share/cups/model/.

start (or restart) cupsd.

reconfigure ("Manage Printers" -> "Modify Printer" through the web
interface) the printer to use the new PPD.

that's it.

--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>