I'm porting it for myself, although I stopped for a while because nobody else
showed much interest in it. I have the opposite view of Claudio, I'd love to
have this capability. It looks attractive for things like high-speed packet
capture and analysis. For re-implementing things that are already implemented
in the kernel like routing and NAT, Claudio is right. But having a generic
mechanism to bring network data in/out userland for analysis or manipulation,
abstracted in a secure way from the kernel across multiple network card types,
and "zero copy", could be very useful. The typical response to this is "well
just make the slow parts of the kernel more efficient and you won't need to do
this" but, especially for pcap-type applications, I think netmap _is_ the
solution.

--
Keep them laughing half the time, scared of you the other half. And always keep
them guessing. -- Clair George