On Saturday 14 July 2012 01:02:12 Norman Golisz wrote:
> On Fri Jul 13 2012 23:58, frantisek holop wrote:
> > hi there,
> >
> > how different is the code path between reboot(8), halt(8)
> > and when i press the power button?
> >
> > the reason i ask is, that fairly often, reboot(8) and halt(8)
> > "hangs" (X disappears, but there is only black screen,
> > and the console never appears, no "syncing disks" message),
> > but pressing the power button turns off the machine
> > without fail every time.  another one of those mysteries..
> >
> > happened on multiple notebooks for me, but here is the dmesg
> > for the one i use daily nowadays.
>
> I can confirm this happens on my Thinkpad T400, too. I did not yet dig
> further into this, so I provide at least some system info; dmesg,
> pcidump, Xorg.0.log.
>
> $ dmesg

I have seen this also. But not only when shutting down. Lately I start X  from
the command line and sometimes it indeed hangs when closing X, but it is no
hard lock. Pressing ctrl-alt-backspace did the trick to continue the shutdown.
Switching to an other console kept working. When I was using kdm and it
happens, I sometimes started reboot in another console. But... I don't know if
it did the trick. I do can remember that there were two shutdown process at
work, so I think it did.

I  have to say that it was worse with the rtrheads transition, but lately I
haven't seen it that often. But, this laptop almost never shuts down. I only
restart kde when konqueror is giving trouble.

But I suspect that something is choking on the X processes.
I don't know all the technical details, but I would think that X first shuts
down his processes and then calls the shutdown program. So shutdown wouldn't be
involved with killing X processes. I can imagine that the power button uses
something which act the same like "kill -KILL" and thus capable off killing X.

hope this helps.

gr
Renzo

ps I'm running a current build from 4-26-12