On Tue (10/07/12), Stuart Henderson wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Manolis Tzanidakis
> ><mtzanida...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> I'd like to setup a monitoring system that sends SMS messages when
> >> something is wrong.
> >> I'm looking for the simplest possible way to send a message from cli,
> >> something like:
> >> $ echo "Doomsday is coming!" | sendsms +1234567890
>
> > smstools package should do the trick...

After a busy week I finally took some time to try smstools and I'd like
to report that it works.
The port's predefined defaults for /etc/smsd.conf are sane; I only
changed this line:

device = /dev/cuaU0

to find my 3g modem. There are some permissions issues though, easily
fixed, like eg.:

# usermod -G dialer _smsd

to let the daemon access the device. I guess this could be the default
on a future version of the port, since all tty0? and ttyU? devices
have uucp:dialer ownership. Or at least include this information in the
port's install-message. I'm CC'ing this to the ports@ list for further
discussion..

And the permissions of /var/spool/sms need some tweaking to allow
non-root users to send sms, but I guess this is sysadmin's work.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions. Hope this helps someone else
too.

--
Manolis Tzanidakis
http://mtzanidakis.com/