On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 01:50:26PM +0300, Kapeatanakis Giannis wrote:
> On 05/08/12 00:13, Mike Belopuhov wrote:
> >to elaborate on this point a bit: please make sure you understand
> >what you're testing! tcpbench and iperf both test how fast your
> >tcp or udp server running in userland can receive and transmit
> >information through the socket interface. this has nothing to do
> >with router workloads for example.
> >>Yes, we would like to be faster but to get more speed large changes are
> >>needed since currently only one CPU is doing all the work in the kernel.
> >>
> >>--
> >>:wq Claudio
>
> Well if the OpenBSD is in the middle of two other machines like B in A-B-C
> and you do iperf/tcpbench between A and C then it is a valid test
> for router workloads, isn't it?

Depends. tcpbench and iperf do not emulate real traffic. In most cases
they will run a very limited number of sessions/flows. In the end you need
to know if your profiling run does measure the right things.
At least the tcpbench workload (tcp session in one direction) produce a
not so common network pattern. iperf has a similar issue but comes with
more buttons.

In short tcpbench and iperf can give you an indication how a router
behaves in your A-B-C test.
--
:wq Claudio