On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 09:18:00 +0200
Moritz Grimm <mgmlist...@mrsserver.net> wrote:

> You always put trust into the whole chain (that's why you need
> intermediate certs in the first place), starting with your trusted
> root. If that trust turns out to be misplaced in any one of the
> components (root, intermediate, server), you lose.

For a server certificate you can generally only lose inasmuch as that
server or domain name is concerned.  But for misplaced trust in an
intermediate cert with certificate-signing capability, you lose
big-time, because that cert can be used to sign a server cert for any
domain whatsoever.

My hope was to obviate the very human risk on my part of trusting an
intermediate cert that I didn't mean to trust by finding a place where I
could safely cache arbitrary intermediate certs just in case they are
needed to build a validation chain to the root, but without according
any trust to these certs on the basis of their presence in the cache.

As if I used the "-untrusted" switch on "openssl verify".