On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 6:04 AM, David Gwynne <l...@animata.net> wrote:

> On 13/08/2012, at 5:42 PM, C. L. Martinez wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to do some tests with OpenBSD 5.1 and FreeBSD 9.1 beta in
>> my laptop virtual lab based on vmware workstation 8. But I have found
>> a problem when I try to configure OpenBSD vms: I can't use e1000
>> driver with these OpenBSD vms. I have tried to setup these OpenBSD vms
>> as FreeBSD virtual guests, as Other, as RHEL, etc ... (and yes, I have
>> changed .vmx config file to ethernetX.virtualDriver = "e1000" every
>> time) but when OpenBSD boots, every time change virtual nic driver to
>> vicX  (in .vmx config appears as a vlance, the worst driver
>> possible)...
>
> THE WORST DRIVER POSSIBLE!
>
> that would be true if pcn(4) attached, but vic(4) is an implementation of
> vmxnet2, which is likely the least worst option available to you in a vmware
> guest. it should even be less worse than em(4).
>
> dlg

Yes, the worst driver when you try to use vic(4) to setup pf with carp
and sniff traffic ...

Anyway, I have found the problem: problem appears when these vms are
setting up as a "Shared VMs". If I do first as a normal VMs and then
move on as "shared  VMs", all works as expected, em driver is used ...
It is really strange, because this problem appears only with OpenBSD
vms. Setting up FreeBSD or CentOS or Windows 2008 R2 vms as a "Shared
VMs", they are use correct drivers ....

Many thanks for your help.