On 2012-08-30, Scott <8f27e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> vis-a-vis /etc/hostname.if, where the 'if' is em1 and is a real
> interface that is aggregating several VLANs (as em1 is connected to a
> Cisco L2 switch).  Since the each of the VLAN interface has its own,
> and topology relevant, IPV4 address, we don't want or need em1 itself
> to have an IP.  Our /etc/hostname.em1 is as follows,
>
> ---- START ----
> -inet mtu 1518 -inet6 group inside
> up
> ---- END -----

the default is to have no IPv4 address, no need to do anything
there, so just try

-inet6
mtu 1518
group inside
up

(but note, you don't need to set mtu manually if this is just
standard 802.1q vlans, only if you're doing something special like
svlan(4) q-in-q tag stacking).

when I have an interface just hosting vlans I usually just have
'up' in hostname.if, no IPv4 address is assigned.

-inet is invalid syntax.

> 'em1' is CORRECTLY absent an IPV6 address (NOINET6); however, it
> always -- and UNDESIRABLY -- comes up with an IPV4 address in the
> 8.n.n.n/8 range.  (Side note: No idea why it gets an IPV4 8/8 as that
> isn't in our topology anywhere and it becomes problematic at times to
> the routing table.)

if you want to track down why this happens, you might like to add
'echo running: "$cmd"' before the 'eval "$cmd"' line in /etc/netstart
and look at the output.