On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 05:43:10PM +0200, Rémi Laurent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this is a real bug, but at least it may be brought to
> attention
> that "announce self" without proper filtering may lead to some unexpected
> behaviour.
>
> When configured with "enforce neighbor-as no" (as for connection to an IXP
> route server), OpenBGPD seems to accept UPDATE with empty AS_PATH and,
> without
> proper filtering, announce them back prepended with AS "self" to every
> neighbor even if "announce self" as been set on the neighbor definition.

This is somewhat expected. announce self is nothing more then an implicit
filter to only allow emtpy-as path out. It needs to be questioned if there
should be not a implicit input filter that filters out empty AS pathes
from ebgp hosts. It would also be possible to extend the announce self
filter a bit to make sure the prefix originated via an ibgp session or was
self generated.

In the end you need to concede that a route server leaking empty AS paths
to the wild is the bigger issue than OpenBGPD redistributing the info
onwards.
--
:wq Claudio