Today Andy Wingate contributed the following:
In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
         Denny White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[More ports@ than [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Just trying to find out if the output from running
./out-of-date for installed packages is because I've
cvsup'd current and rebuilt everything numerous times
which, I'm pretty sure I read, is unsupported.

You are recommended to use binary snapshots and packages where
possible (particularly if you use CVSup which is a pain to build).
See <URL:http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html#WhySrc> and
<URL:http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html>

Only fresh installs of current snapshot supported, I believe.
Anyways, here's the output when I run ./out-of-date:
--------------------------------------
archivers/bzip2     # c.38.2 -> c.38.3

Your installed packages were linked against 38.2 of libc while you now
have 38.3. They were also linked against an older pthread (6.1) than
the one you currently have (6.2). Your installed packages are out of
sync with your userland.

If you use binary packages, this is still likely to happen as userland
snapshots appear much more often than packages (since building a
complete set of packages will take that much longer). However, if you
have set up a suitable PKG_PATH, 'pkg_add -u' can help you keep up to
do with your installed packages.

[snip]

devel/gettext       # 0.10.40p3 -> 0.14.5

Your installed gettext is out of date compared to the ports tree which
will also show up in packages which depend on it. Similar for libtool,
redhat-motif, gnupg.

Not asking for any kind of fix or help on this, just to
understand the why of it, like I stated above. Aware that
what I did is unsupported. Finally getting insurance money
back after hurricane Katrina & first thing on agenda is to
buy the new 3.8 cd's. :-) Previously, just experimenting &
trying to get to know the system. Have used mostly FreeBSD
with portupgrade, portsnap, & so forth. Thanks for any info.

Definitely buy the CDs but be aware that your -current system is ahead
of 3.8 (as on the CDs). Downgrading without completely reinstalling
from scratch is not supported (again see FAQ 5)
--
Andy Wingate <URL:http://www.sparse.net>       OpenPGP key 0xC642BF8A
Tagline missing. Last seen in the vicinity of usenet.

Okay Andy, I appreciate the info. If you have time, can you
answer one more question? Could I alleviate this discrepancy
by pkg_delete all installed packages and also deleting all
of /usr/ports/distfiles, and then reinstall packages? And yes,
I plan on a fresh install when I get the cd's. All important
stuff backed up on regular basis. Thanks.
Denny White

GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A
iD8DBQFDc5Q1y0Ty5RZE55oRAhhLAJ92WVj7lam4DNeRbiCAGiiK/dYWHwCgyGLD
gPiQo04JI9CXO3RMbsVjpU4=
=LCJK
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----