On 09/28/12 04:15, Jean-François SIMON wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yesterday, I have asked someone to install, disklabel, newfs and mount a
> disk on a small local server machine.
> I have forgotten to fdisk -i in the first place, it does however apparently
> work well.
>
> Please could you let me know which type of problem there could be or not at
> all if we do not fdisk -i this particular disk in the future, for normal
> storage use ...
>
> Thanks for help,
>
> Jean-François

you got a time bomb.  it may never go off, or it may cause you problems
tomorrow.

IF everyone managing the machine does everything right for the life of
the machine, you are fine.  Its unlikely OpenBSD itself will break this
on a second disk in the future (though, we did consciously break it on
boot disks in the past, so I'm not going to say we won't break your
system in the future).

However, since the machine is non-standard, it is exceptionally prone to
user errors that could cause you loss of data.  If you have just one
person administering the machine, you can probably just put a sticker on
it that says, "warning: wd1 has no fdisk partitioning", and never have a
problem.  However, you obviously have more than one person working on
the system, and since you got this far, I'm going to assume that at
least one person managing this machine doesn't know what that sticker
would mean.

I would highly suggest fixing the problem (unload data, rebuild
properly, reload data).

Nick.