I'm pretty sure your theory is correct. You can query the list of
interfaces with pfctl -vsI, which prints '(skip)' on those that are
currently being skipped.

Reloading the ruleset does (and should) clear the 'set skip' set, as we
agreed that there should be no (or as little as possible) state in the
kernel that persists across ruleset reloads. Other options are similarly
cleared on reload (and then re-instated, if you reload a ruleset similar
to the old one). So loading an empty ruleset should clear all such
options.

Now, if the ruleset doesn't exist at all (I assume you didn't have a
file called 'all' lying in the cwd when running pfctl -f all), I guess
nothing should happen except for the error message. I'll check about
that.

Or what would you prefer instead?

Daniel