Theo de Raadt <dera...@cvs.openbsd.org> writes:

>> Well I moved to position that booting with a passphrase and then
>> concatenate strong passphrase from an Yubikey configured with
>> static passphrase would be better solution than keydisk and
>> passphrase.
>>
>> Although I don't have an Yubikey token now but as an Yubikey
>> token is simulatin usb keyboard it should work. Has anybody
>> tested Yubikey with new boot(8) asking for passphrase?
>
> Then you had better start work on the usb stack for the bootcode.

The Yubikey presents itself to the system as a standard USB keyboard. It
has two "slots" for passwords. You can program either slot (or both) to
hold a static value or as an OTP generator. When you touch the button on
the Yubikey it types out slot one's value. If you touch and hold for 2-3
seconds it types out slot two's value.

I just tried mine. At the /boot prompt I plugged it in and touched the
"type" button and it typed out my OTP. I also tried the static password.
No problem.

Obviously the OTP wouldn't be useful since it requires custom code in
the receiver but the static password seems like a viable option. I was
thinking the same as Jiri except I'd prepend the system-specific value
before letting the Yubikey type the password since it types a carriage
return at the end.

I imagine the Yubikey wouldn't work for any system that can't use USB
keyboards. YMMV

Tip to anyone looking to buy one: they're (US)$25/each. If you look on
the store you'll find an option to buy the Password Safe bundle. The
package comes with 2 Yubikeys for (US)$40.