On Fri, 2012-11-09 at 12:19 +0100, Marc Espie wrote:

> autocrap is part of the problem, not the solution. Their documentation
> concerning version numbering, and all the fuzz they add around it don't
> help at all. The "old" style (major.minor) is fairly simple to understand
> and to use, actually, as long as you don't try to play fucked up games with
> it.

I've committed a patch to make it use -version-info on OpenBSD, and
-version-number with GNU libtool. They seem to do the same thing, taking
the sane ABI-version numbers that I give them, and putting them directly
in the filename of the resulting library.

http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/openconnect.git/commitdiff/ada3dea0

I note you don't seem to have an soname — so if I add functions to
libopenconnect and bump the minor release number, I think your GNOME and
KDE authentication dialogs for the VPN are going to break. If you update
OpenConnect and not rebuild those, of course. I appreciate you say you
don't. But OpenConnect might occasionally have required security or
compatibility upgrades, so users might want to.

Does that mean I should actually make it just '-version-info @APIMAJOR@'
and drop the ':@APIMINOR@' part for OpenBSD?

--
                   Sent with MeeGo's ActiveSync support.

david.woodho...@intel.com                              Intel Corporation

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/x-pkcs7-signature which
had a name of smime.p7s]