On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:55 AM, Jan Stary <h...@stare.cz> wrote:
> This is current/i386 on a Thinkpad T40 (dmesg below).
> It's an APM machine; no acpi. I am running apmd -A,
> and have scripts in /etc/apm/ that just go

> Suspend mostly works, trigerred either by
> an explicit apm -s, or Fn+F4, or closing the lid.

> After a successfull resume, everything seems to be in order,
> including X and open connections (haven't tested wifi though).
>
> "Mostly" means that it _usually_ resumes back up,
> by either pressing the power button or pressing Fn.
> But sometimes it doesn't. The only pattern I have spotted
> is that it fails to resume back if it has been suspended
> for longer: after two minutes of suspend, it always comes back;
> after ten minutes of suspend, it never comes back.

> Also, I have machdep.lidsuspend=0, but the machine
> still suspends when I close the lid - is that intended?
> Are there other settings that regulate when a suspend happens,
> possibly something that overrides machdep.lidsuspend?

Perhaps the BIOS is controlling this.

> Hibernate (apm -Z or Fn+F12) never happens.
> Fn+F12 however makes the low beep that Fn+F4 makes,
> so perhaps it is attempting something; there is nothing
> in the logs though. The console/xterm says
>
>         System will enter hibernate mode momentarily.
>
> but nothing happens after that.
>
> I understand that the suspend/hibernate subsystem
> is currently being heavily worked on, particularly on i386,
> and I want to thank the people improving that.
>
> Is there something specific I should test or report?

While hibernation is being worked on, a fair amount of that work
focuses on ACPI hibernate--APM hibernate is not the focus (and this is
handled by the BIOS on my ThinkPad).  That said, my T42p suspends and
hibernates mostly without incident--including Wi-Fi--but there were
some things I needed to do for the BIOS-based hibernate to work and
they revolved around the tphdisk package.