On 27 November 2012 08:47, Research <resea...@nativemethods.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any experience with reputable cloud providers
> that currently offer OpenBSD 5.2.
>
> I was able to find out some information based on the OpenBSD Journal posting
> from Sunday, February 13, 2011 titled "OpenBSD Private Cloud Computing".  The
> two vendors mentioned included ARP Networks and RootBSD.
>
> Since this time period (preferably over 2012), has anyone used any other
> cloud service offerings hosting OpenBSD ?  I am hoping to hear some positive
> reviews for a provider I can go with.
>
> Stipulations
>
> - Preferable a North American provider for geography
> - OpenBSD 5.2
>
> Thanks

To run OpenBSD in the cloud, you can go with pretty much any provider
that offers VPS solutions based on Linux-KVM, Xen HVM or VMware --
with all of these three technologies, you can run the regular
unmodified i386 and amd64 kernels.  Avoid Xen PV (it requires guest OS
to be modified to specifically support Xen, i.e. a DomU kernel etc),
and, obviously, also avoid OpenVZ, VDSmanager-FreeBSD etc.

Don't necessarily look at the OpenBSD version numbers that are
offered, or whether OpenBSD is specifically supported; at least with
KVM and Xen HVM, it's almost always possible to get console-based
access and install whichever version of OpenBSD you please.  Some
providers offer ssh-based serial console access; some offer VNC-based
access; installing OpenBSD yourself is a breeze!

For "reputable" providers with nodes in the US, arpnetworks.com,
vr.org, ramhost.us, nqhost.com and edis.at are just some of the
options to consider; and, before you ask, linode.com won't work (it's
strictly Xen PV, which would require a modified Xen DomU kernel from
your Guest OS).  IMHO, RootBSD.net pricing is always out of line from
the realm of the market.

If you're looking for something extra cheap and not necessarily one
bit reliable/secure/dependable, then you might also find some other
interesting offers from come-and-go providers at sites like
LowEndBox.com (they have tags for KVM and VMware, plus most "Xen"
providers over there either already offer Xen HVM or are flexible
enough to provide either Xen PV or Xen HVM).

Cheers,
Constantine.