2012/12/9 Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com>

> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Chris Cappuccio <ch...@nmedia.net> wrote:
> > Maximo Pech [mak...@gmail.com] wrote:
> >> I said I can't code that.
> >
> > If you already knew the answer was "write it", then you asked the wrong
> > question.

I already knew an answer (not the only one) could be "write it".

> >> I know that gnupg is in the ports tree, but it
> >> just seems strange to me that it isn't on the base system, because for
> me
> >> it sounds logical that if one of the key points of openbsd is
> cryptography,
> >> it would have a bsd tool like gnupg. The netpgp thing looks very cool, I
> >> didn't know about it.
> >>

> > Do you have any idea how abusrd this is?

No I don't, if you don't mind please explain why that's absurd.

> >> So my question is why there isn't a tool like that on base, I'm asking
> out
> >> of curiosity, maybe some historical, reason, technical... I'm not
> trying to
> >> point this as a fault, I just want to understand better the fact that
> gnupg
> >> or a bsd licensed equivalent isn't in the base system.
> >>

> > The original PGP program was mostly public domain. As time went on, it
> went to a
> > highly restrictive license. GnuPG, and later, NetPGP represent the
> people who
> > had desires to fix that problem. If you want to do it again, nobody will
> stop you.
> >
> > OpenSSH and OpenBSD IPsec represent the OpenBSD solutions to the quality
> and
> > licensing problems in those areas. OpenSSH is still the gold standard,
> OCF/IPsec,
> > maybe not. PGP worked, was public domain, encrypts files, and solved one
> problem.
> > Network layer encryption is an entirely different, and for many, a much
> more
> > important problem.

That's completely subjective and also it is a problem that has more work
behind than the "problem" I think there is with the non existence of bsd
tools like gnupg on *base* not on ports and not openssl.

What I say is simply that it would be cool if by default on the *base*
system OpenBSD had a tool called opgp, opengp, puffypg or whatever, to
encrypt files like gnupg does and I was wondering why it does not exist if
OpenBSD cares a lot about cryptography.

Well, with the information you have given me so far, I think the answer is
something like "nobody has written it because we have more important things
to do and nobody believes there is a real need for that". Am I right?