Hello Misc,

I am running -current (amd64) on a Lenovo w500.

I start Xfce4 from the command line with startx.  I have
added:
        exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4
to ~/.xinitrc.

Everything comes up nicely, but I cannot swap the Control_L
and CAPS_LOCK automatically at startup.

I can swap them from an xterm command line using
        setxkbmap -option ctrl:swapcaps
and
        xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
Both of these methods do work, but I want it to happen
automatically when I launch X.

I have gone to the "Session and Startup" dialog and
created an entry for the setxkbmap command method.
The command executes and returns 0.

I have added:
        XKBOPTIONS="ctrl:swapcaps"
to /etc/default/keyboard.  This doesn't work either.

I have instrumented /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc to verify that

        # load local modmap
        test -r $HOME/.Xmodmap && xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap

in that file is executed and returns 0

Googling finds the solutions described above. These aren't
working for me.  At this point I am out of ideas.  I am
resisting writing an "xorg.conf" file.  Am I down to that?

Clue sticks gladly accepted.

Thanks to all,
Ray