On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 08:13:33AM +0100, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> [...]
| > |
| > | Sorry, completely wrong. An unix admin use only vi not wordstar or ed.
| >
| > You know vi but you don't know ed.  Right.  Know your software and its
| > history - vi is ed with visual editing bolted on.  Once you recognize
| > this, you'll have no problems at all dealing with ed.
|
| slighty wrong. vi is *ex* plus visual editing.

Sure, I skipped a step .. history went ed -> ex -> vi (and that's not
a completely accurate progression either with ed being written by
Thompson and ex (and later vi) by Joy who was an avid ed user), but
the influences are obvious.

The point was that it's easy to learn and use ed if you are already
familiar with vi.

| But the advice remains. ed is a skil must know to call yourself a unix
| admin.

Absolutely.

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/