JD Harrington wrote:
Mike wrote:

I don't know how similar the Ultra20 and X2100 are, but here's dmesg output from an Ultra20:

This is completely off-topic, but how do you like the Ultra 20 overall? I need a new workstation for home,

First, I should have mentioned that I added the sk (4) to this system --
it didn't come that way from the factory.  Sorry if that caused anyone
confusion.

My opinion: I like it. In fairness, I've generally had a high opinion of Sun hardware quality. The Ultra20 is no exception. This is the first amd64 workstation I've used, and it IS fast. I'm sure you could get the same or similar components from another manufacturer (or build it yourself), but I'm not sure you'd save yourself much.

The upgraded video card has an odd connector, then a Y cable that
splits into two DVI outputs.  Maybe that's common these days -- I
haven't played with new video toys in a while.  I put a DVI-VGA adapter
on one of them and moved on...

It's USB only for keyboard and mouse, and there's no serial.
 I run mine in a noisy computer room, so I can't tell you how loud it
would in your home.

Aside from that, nothing unexpected -- just a fast, well-made system.

Cheers,

Mike