On 2013-01-20, Alan Corey <alan01...@gmail.com> wrote:
> They seem to work for my programs, but I'm trying to use rtl_fm from
> the osmocom group at http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr.  This
> machine boots into OpenBSD and an old Debian Linux and the program
> runs fine under Linux.  If I can figure out how to make it work under
> OpenBSD I'd like to submit some ifdefs for it.
>
> The program is for software defined radio using a $20 dongle plugged
> into a USB port that tunes 24 - 1700 MHz.  It works under Linux and
> Windows, but under OpenBSD the demodulation doesn't keep up with the
> incoming data. The driver uses a callback routine when it has data,
> which does a sem_post that should enable a demodulation thread.  It
> works after a fashion, but by the time it starts 5 or 6 more batches
> of data have come along and most of them get lost (in OpenBSD).  I
> think maybe I need to change the priority on the thread if possible.
>
> I posted this question originally to StackOverflow:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14392158/pthread-priority-scheduling-under-openbsd
>
> Have I run into one of the shortcomings of pthreads as implemented in
> 5.0?  I'll probably upgrade to 5.3 when it comes out, but that
> involves hours of sitting in a car using a public WiFi connection
> which I don't plan to do until warmer weather.
>
>   Alan

I can't answer specifically for rtl_fm, but some other programs
using threads and USB were pretty much useless with the userland-only
thread library due to problems with FD blocking, which are no longer
an issue following the move to kernel-backed threads.

One specific example is spectrum-tools; the GUI parts did not work
at all for me before this move, and now work reasonably well.