--- On Mon, 1/28/13, Andres Perera <andre...@zoho.com> wrote:

> more than that, really, why should you or anybody care
>
> using bpf or not should be an implementation detail. no one should
> be making decisions as far as their pf config goes based upon
> whether dhclient uses bpf or not

Thanks for your comments on the source code. I briefly looked thru
/usr/src/sbin/dhclient, but there were 6289 lines of *.c code there.
I'm not that familiar with networking code so there was too much
for me to easily comprehend.

I agree that bpf is simply an implementation technique; I don't really care
*how* dhclient does what it does. But I want to understand the required pf
rules for two reasons:

1) there have been people who have said (e.g. in the thread I quoted):

   "Using DHCP is not possible, pf block it, and i don't understand why"

Missing pf rules are one reason why dhcp would fail. Many people search
for similar problems years later; I don't want them to be confused as I was.

2) This is the important one for me. I want to be a "good Internet citizen".
So I try to write my pf rules to be as restrictive as possible. I want to
keep machines behind my firewall from being "bad Internet citizens".
Right now my outgoing UDP below port 1024 is restricted to ports domain,
kerberos, and ntp. I will add dhcp to that list.

I know I'm being a little quixotic (or perhaps pedantic) here. If there's
a misbehaving machine behind my firewall, I don't think that restricting
its UDP ports is going to make a whole lot of difference to the Internet
at large. But I'm trying to do what I can.