On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 10:23:00AM +0100, the unit calling itself Henning
Brauer wrote:

> >     'adjusting local clock by XXs'
> >
> > The word 'by' is a preposition with a specific meaning in the context of
> > its use... it means "in the amount of"... but that's not what it means
> > here, is it? No, it does not. Therefore, the log entry is *inaccurate*.
>
> it is perfectly accurate. it says "adjusting by", and that is what it
> does.
> it does not say "hard setting" or anything.
> I won't change the log message, case closed.

It *is* an inaccurate statement of what ntpd is doing to the system's
time. ntpd is your product - if you're happy with this little flaw, then
that's fine - leave it as is. But again, "The emperor has no clothes!"

Jay

PS - It would seem "mind closed" would be more accurate description of
this situation than "case closed", eh?