On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Chris Smith <obsd_m...@chrissmith.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 11:56 PM, bofh <goodb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm running 5.2.  And starting to have more and more things that need
>> IP addresses pop in and out of the house.  Rather than hardcoding
>> everything into dhcpd.conf, I thought I'd check with you guys to see
>> what you use to have new devices register into DNS?
>
> I'm just trying to figure out why the need for DNS entries for such
> ad-hoc things that "pop in and out of the house". They get an IP
> config from DHCP and they just work. What am I missing?

Off the top of my head, I have the following on the home network:

iphone 5, iphone 4s, itouch 4, itouch 2g, nexus4, macbook pro, macbook
pro, macbook retina, roku, ps3, wii, mac mini, hackintosh, solaris box
+ virtualbox VMs.

I have a couple of IP addresses memorized, but it would be far far
easier to ssh name@retina or name@hackintosh.

Or if a new device is lit up (say, kids' friends come over and ask to
get on the network) I can easily tell what it is.

--
http://www.glumbert.com/media/shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvHNNOLnCk