--> patrick keshishian <pkesh...@gmail.com> [2013-02-07 12:16:40 -0800]:

> look in 'man pfctl' and search for killing active sessions.
>

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Martijn van Duren <martijn...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello misc,
> >
> > Today I watch the current connections on my small home server and I
> > noticed an unfamiliar ftp-connection. Upon inspecting the connection I
> > noticed it was a brute force attack, so I fired up my pfctl-utility and
> > tried to block the attack by adding the ip to my quick drop table.
> > After adding the ip to the table I noticed that the connection was still
> > happily active and even reloading my entire ruleset with pfctl
> > -f /etc/pf.conf didn't help, so I resorted to tcpdrop.
> >
> > My question is, is it possible to destroy an active connection by
> > something like adding an ip to a drop quick table (did I miss a certain
> > flag?) or do I, in an event that something like this happens again,
> > always have to perform a two stage drop?
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Martijn

If you have block drop quick rules in an anchor, I believe you do not
need to reload the rules - the rule in the anchor becomes effective
immediately, is that right?

I use an anchor to block incoming smtp connections that way. Would you
still need to use pfctl -k ... to kill the connection when using
anchors?

Jamie

--
Primary Key: 4096R/1D31DC38 2011-12-03
Key Fingerprint: A4B9 E875 A18C 6E11 F46D  B788 BEE6 1251 1D31 DC38