I found the following thread on this issue from 2010:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.openbsd.misc/168129

Amazon still only supports route-based VPNs, but they have removed the
requirement for BGP and instead allow for static routes. I was able to
get a tunnel working without using BGP based on the info from the post
above, but it would stop handling the reply traffic after a short
time. The esp packets arrive at the gateway, but never get decrypted
into enc0. Tearing down the tunnels and waiting an hour or so seems to
permit another short-lived VPN, but it still doesn't stay up. Has
anyone been successful establishing a customer gateway VPN connection
into Amazon VPC using OpenBSD? Does the fact that they only support a
route-based VPN exclude the possibility of using a policy-based system
like OpenBSD?