Hi,

I know that it has been requested to stop bother OpenBSD users with ZFS,
but there are a few not-quite-right things that I want to precise.  This
will be my last post on the subject.

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 08:54:13PM -0500, goodb0fh wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2013, at 6:57 PM, Matthias Appel <appel.matth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> .
> >
> > That is what I wanted to say....so if there Is ZFS-a and ZFS-b, why call
> > both of them ZFS?

Historically there was a single ZFS in OpenSolaris (and Solaris).  Other
OSes, esp. FreeBSD, brought it in their code base.  Then Oracle closed
the source and put additional features.  The other-ZFS that stayed
opensource in illumos and gained additional features as well.  So yes
they are incompatible, they have the same name, this is annoying.  But I
don't think any of them is more legitimate to be called ZFS.

I think (hope?) over time, people will prefix "ZFS" with something that
describes the branch unambiguously, like "Oracle ZFS" on one hand and
"OSS ZFS" / "illumos ZFS" on the other.

> ZFS has version numbers.  They are backward but not forward compatible
> so newer code can mount older ZFS but not the other way round.  As
> version increases, capabilities increases, from supporting
> compression, more compression options, dedup and finally, in the
> version in Solaris 11, encryption as well.
>
> All Illumos/opensolaris versions of ZFS do not support ZFS type
> encryption, sadly.

This was true until Oracle closed the source because there was only one
linear monotonically-increasing version number which clearly identified
which features were available in the pool.

Oracle basically ignores the other ZFS so they have stayed on the same
track.  On the other hand, illumos is well aware that this may be a
problem in the future so, as Bryan Horstmann-Allen explained.  That way
there can be multiple ZFS versions, the feature flag will indicate which
feature were supported when the pool was created.

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen

Scientists say the world is made up of Protons, Neutrons and Electrons.
They forgot to mention Morons.