On Feb 27 18:32:37, martijn...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 02/27/13 13:07, Tim van der Molen wrote:

> >>Are you running sndiod?
> >>Please try again with SIO_DEBUG=1.
> >
> >For the record, that should be SNDIO_DEBUG.
>
> I stopped sndiod via rc.d. After that I started it up again via:
> $ SNDIO_DEBUG=1 sudo -u _sndio /usr/bin/sndiod -d
> but when playing the songs again it gave no output (nor audio, nor
> stderr). I also tried it with SIO_DEBUG=1 for good measure, which
> also lacked output.

Use SNDIO_DEBUG with the application you use to play the sound.

$ env SNDIO_DEBUG=1 play file.mp3
aucat_open: host= unit=0 devnum=0 opt=default
/tmp/aucat-1000/aucat0: No such file or directory
aucat: start, maxwrite = 0

file.mp3:

 File Size: 4.52M     Bit Rate: 128k
  Encoding: MPEG audio
  Channels: 2 @ 16-bit
Samplerate: 44100Hz
Replaygain: off
  Duration: 00:04:42.96

In:0.00% 00:00:00.00 [00:04:42.96] Out:0     [      |      ]        Clip:0
aucat: flowctl = 8820, maxwrite = 35280
aucat: flowctl = 882, maxwrite = 3528
aucat: flowctl = 882, maxwrite = 3528
aucat: flowctl = 882, maxwrite = 3528
aucat: flowctl = 882, maxwrite = 3528
[...]
In:0.26% 00:00:00.74 [00:04:42.21] Out:32.8k [   -==|====  ] Hd:5.4 Clip:0
aucat: flowctl = 882, maxwrite = 3528
aucat: flowctl = 882, maxwrite = 3528
aucat: flowctl = 882, maxwrite = 3528
aucat: flowctl = 882, maxwrite = 3528
aucat: flowctl = 882, maxwrite = 3528
aucat: flowctl = 882, maxwrite = 3528
aucat: flowctl = 882, maxwrite = 3528
aucat: flowctl = 882, maxwrite = 3528
aucat: flowctl = 882, maxwrite = 3528
In:0.33% 00:00:00.93 [00:04:42.03] Out:41.0k [   -==|===== ] Hd:5.4 Clip:0
Aborted.

This shows that the sndio subsystem is indeed getting
audio samples from the application and tries to play them.