On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 11:01:30PM -0500, ICMan wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is there any way to create a compressed file system, using gzip or bzip,
> or some other mechanism?  I have some huge text files that I am working
> with that compress nicely, but to work with them requires insane amounts
> of disk.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Not as far as I know, but there are quite a few editors that will, when
asked nicely, work with compressed files (please note that the 'swap
file' they use is typically not compressed, so it still costs some
space...) And any script-based processing is trivially modified by
putting a gzip pipe in front.

Is there a good reason not just to use gzip/gunzip?

                Joachim