> Hello,
>
> I'd like to install vsftpd with virtual users on my openbsd system.
> I read the documentation and at step 2 it says:
>
> "Step 2) Create a PAM file which uses your new database.
>
> See the example file vsftpd.pam. It contains two lines:
> auth required /lib/security/pam_userdb.so db=/etc/vsftpd_login
> account required /lib/security/pam_userdb.so db=/etc/vsftpd_login
>
> This tells PAM to authenticate users using our new database. Copy this
> PAM
> file to the PAM directory - typically /etc/pam.d/
> cp vsftpd.pam /etc/pam.d/ftp"
>
> The problem is that there is no pam.d with OpenBsd.

> I read elsewhere that some people say that ldap could be used but I'd
> like to know if there is a simple way to configure vsftpd with virtual
> users that requires a minimal configuration.

vsftpd's virtual users support is working with pam_userdb or pam_pwdfile
PAM modules, and there's no way to use this feature without PAM.

> Also, I'd like to know how to start the server after I installed it
> through the ports because I didn't find so far.

You can launch it either from the command line by calling it (if you
have listen=Yes in the config file) or through inetd with:

ftp stream tcp nowait root ${LOCALBASE}/sbin/vsftpd vsftpd

You can take a look at the documentation for details (run it with TCP
WRAPPERS etc.)